Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Beach Gang, circa 1926




I found many references of the "Beach Gang" during research for the book and really liked the photo on page 17 with Pete DiFabio, Glenn ?, teenaged Bud Higgins, Bub ?, and Angelo Molica. Somewhere is a great story about how that white stuff (zink?) got on their noses....I just need to look harder and find it again. However, this photo from the Higins collection missed a few last names.



I often wondered: Who were Glenn and "Bub" and were they lifeguards?



It turns out Keith Cameron found this photo in the book, never saw the photo before and was excited to identify his father and uncle! By email, Keith (Hollywood High class of 1950) wrote briefly about Cecil 'Bub' Cameron and Glenn Cameron:



"I spent a good deal of my early years (30's - 40's) at Huntington Beach with my father and mother. My father went to Huntington Beach High School. To me it was paradise (and then I think it was). While brousing your book, "Huntington Beach Lifeguards", I came across page 17 a photo of the "Beach Gang". I would like to fill in the question marks. Second from the right is my father, Cecil 'Bub' Cameron and second from the left is his brother, my uncle, Glenn Cameron. They often talked to me about Bud Higgins, Gene Belshe and Pete DiFabio. This was a very revered group of individuals. Glenn later visited Honolulu (stowed away on a Japanese tramp steamer), surfed with the best of them with the 'big' boards (he was an excellent athlete, swimming, diving, surfing). My father stayed mainly with swimming races, around the pier, etc. I was overjoyed to see such an early photograph of my father and uncle and wanted to make sure their 'question-mark' identities were known."



Wow, that was a kewl inbox find!! I called Keith and enjoyed his conversation. I was able to share another photo of his father and uncle together which again Keith saw for the first time. Thanks again Keith. Mahalo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment